DWP Report Calls for Massive Power Rate Hikes
Friday, 26 February 2010
The long-awaited consulting report on pass-through electricity charges was released Friday, calling for an immediate 800 percent increase in the energy cost adjustment factor and increases every quarter that will raise overall power rates by more than 20 percent within a year.
The massive increases are being sought as DWP officials face intense pressure to have a revenue stream to be able to close at least four deals to buy solar and wind energy to meet the stand-mandated goal of 20 percent renewable energy by the end of this calendar year.
BOARD OF WATER AND POWER COMMISSIONERS’ MEETING OF TUESDAY, MARCH 2, 2010, CANCELLED
Los Angeles Electric Rate Linked to Solar Power
STEINHAUER, New York Times
Published: March 10, 2010
Now, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, the largest municipal utility in the United States, is poised to pass a roughly 5 percent rate increase on electricity use.
The commission that governs the utility, which is losing about $6 million a week or an estimated $500 million by the end of the 2011 fiscal year,
Increase of about $2.50 per month would help pay
for more solar energy use
year after Los Angeles voters shot down a proposal to spend more on
solar power, city officials want to hike electric rates by more than 5
percent to boost local solar energy use.
DWP ratepayers facing a bigger
By David Zahniser, March
‘s mayor will propose an increase of 2.7 cents per L.A.
kilowatt hour of electricity consumed. It’s expected to add $2 a month to the
bills of 55% of customers. Its effect on the other 45% isn’t known.
Mayor Villaraigosa postpones announcement on DWP surcharge hike.
March 12, 2010 | 7:48
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has postponed a Friday news
conference on his plan for hiking a surcharge for customers of the
Department of Water and Power, replacing that event with one that
focuses on his recent lobbying trip to Washington.
Chief Deputy Mayor Jay Carson said the 9:15 a.m. DWP announcement was rescheduled, in part to give Villaraigosa’s office more time to verify figures showing the impact of the plan on the utility’s residential customers.