Jan Perry’s Great Performance Mocking the Bully D’Arcy and Traitor Zine

EDITOR’S NOTE: In a letter Thursday to City Council members (antonio-veto.pdf), Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa spelled out his reasons for vetoing a March 8 ballot measure that would give the Council the power to fire DWP Commission members and the General Manager. He declared his support for a separate measure creating the Office of Public Accountability/Rate Payer Advocate with scaled down authority and urged the Council to examine the governance structure of the DWP, Harbor and Airport departments.

When she is bad, she is very, very bad. But when Jan Perry is good, she is very, very good — the best of the lot.

On Friday, Perry was great.
With a mix of sarcasm and irony, Perry smiled all the way as she mocked her colleagues for knuckling under to intimidation DWP union bully Brian D’Arcy and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on the question of overriding the veto of the March 8 ballot measure that would give the City Council the power to fire the DWP general manager and commissioners.
Last week, the measure passed by a 10-1 vote but within hours the mayor vetoed it with a brief statement that said the DWP should not be singled out for reform.
It is any wonder since he has destroyed its credibility with huge rate hike demands while looting its funding with massive increases in transfers of hundreds of millions of dollars to the general fund and creating chaos in policy and management by going through six GMs in six years.
Perry began by looking out into the audience at D’Arcy, who like his pal the mayor opposes any interference with the IBEW boss’ ability to run the municipal utility for the benefit of his members and their astronomical salaries and benefits and to use their dues to make and break city officials.
“In the interest of being diplomatic, gsod morning, Brian, good morning. Let’s give him a hand, friend of most,” she said with the smile of angel.
She had a little fun noting that as the fiercest fighter for DWP reforms, D’Arcy failed to invite her to his Christmas party Thursday night.
A little later, she had some sport with presiding officer Dennis Zine — who insiders say has rolled over to the pressure in his ambition to get IBEW support in his bid for higher office — pressure Bill Rosendahl declared he was not giving into despite a browbeating for an hour by the mayor himself.
“I was looking back over the 10 votes we had and I was trying to figure out where those two votes went, and I realized one of them was you. You went away,” Perry said.
“We have eight today. We had 10 the other day    I say where did you go, Mr. Zine and why?”
Rather than answer, Zine — well known by his colleagues as an untrustworthy ally — bantered stupidly and finally said:
“Miss Perry, let me inform you are accusing me of something prior to the act.”
The vote to override the veto was put off until next Wednesday when all 15 members — not just the 12 present Friday — are scheduled to attend the Council meeting.
Enhanced by Zemanta
This entry was posted in City Hall, DWP, Hot Topics, LA Clean Sweep and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Jan Perry’s Great Performance Mocking the Bully D’Arcy and Traitor Zine

1. Where were all these NO birds when we were having all the council sponsored meeting around town? Where was Boss D’Arcy and his anti reform puppets. But people need to realize that 3 of the last 4 IBEW elections have lost: Little Jackie Weiss, Downtown Chris Essel, and, of course, Measure B.

2. Scott Zwartz says:

Tony V’s logic is that of a true idiot. “Don’t single out DWP for reform”
    Don’t arrest that child molester unless you can arrest them all.
    Don’t take that lead paint away from your baby unless you can remove all dangers from his life.
    With tools like Tony V and Erika, the Demo reign in California may be rather short. And I’m a Demo.

Tony pressured or bought or whatever he did to move Zine into his pocket, (I’m still so pissed by what Zine did to Zine since winning his council seat), then packed his bags for NYC where he’s on his way to add his knee-jerk thoughtless endorsement to the Great Obma/Right-wing tax shakedown. Every thug is on the take. Barney Sanders said it straight, no holds barred, plain and truthful and I hope the power of his message shakes the walls down around your lying thoughtless self-centered ears, Tony you rat.

4. Nina Royal says:

Good job Jan!!! We’ll be there on Wednesday. Dennis, the eyes of L.A.are on you!!!

5. Kate Barner says:

First, we should always commend any elected official when they do the right thing – Thank you Councilwoman Perry.
    Second, this shows you how phony the City Council is. Yes Ms. Perry, the 10 votes were a fake. And it turns out the Mr. Zine is a big fake and your exposure of him was pure genius and brave.
    Other fakes:
    1. April 2010 DWP Rate Increase: Mr. Zine voted WITH Mr. Garcetti to raise your DWP rates in April when Mr. Garcetti disregarded the advice of the City Attorney and voted for findings for a “Special 1″ to pre-approve a DWP rate increase.
    2. Playa Vista Phase II: Bill Rosendahl and Paul Koretz voted against this project, yet those Council members outside their districts voted Yes against the statistics of 99.997 percent in another obvious corrupt fake vote. There is a huge backstory to this that should be investigated.

6. Kate Barner says:

Dear “December 10, 2010 10:18 PM”
    You are are barking up the wrong tree vis-à-vis Tony Cardenas suddenly getting Dennis Zine into his pocket.
    I think that Dennis Zine has always been in Brian Darcy’s pocket and tried to have it both ways – pretending to be tough on DWP/IBEW, but then voting for their wage increases.
    Zine has been owned by the Special Interests of IBEW for quite a while (at least for most of 2010). What other special interests owns Dennis Zine?

7. Kate Barner says:

Will Mr. Zine be a coward and not show up or leave early? Yes there will be a dance on Wednesday.
    And Mr. Wesson, I believe that you are in Mr. Darcy’s pocket with Dennis Zine.
    After Wednesday, we will know.

8. Sandy Sand says:

Don’t forget Turncoat Zine’s bend over and kiss the mayor’s petute on the Phoney Phone Tax. Zine told Doug McIntyre on his morning show that he absolutely would vote against putting the measure on the ballot. It was a done deal!
    That was until arm-twisting or black mailing Tony had an early morning powwow with Zine (and I believe Smith, another holdout), both of whom instantly change their votes. It didn’t take two mind-changers; one would have done the trick, but why not go for a little mayoral insurance in case one of them swung back to his original position.
    And what was Zine’s excuse for vote-switching? The voters can decide.
    Then the mayor and Bratton lied and said the new phone tax would be less when it was really more, because it taxed more things than just phone service and it would put more cops on the streets.
    Both huge lies!

Zine is not only dishonest but stupid. Still trying to figure out how he got there. Anyway he`ll be gone in two yrs. As far as moving to the Controller`s offce, Wendy is also stupid, but not that stupid to give up her seat to oppose Zev.

You guys are HILARIOUS AND NAIVE. It only takes one dumb ass move and you’re jumping on How great the idiot Jan Perry is? WFF? She is going after IBEW and the bully D’Arcy because she was TOLD they aren’t going to back her for Mayor. JAN PERRY is in the POCKET of AEG and Tim Lieweke need I remind you all of the corrupt way she and the same dumb ass collegues gave in and voted to approve billboards that didn’t have ANY PERMITS. Where we all of you fighting for that?? What about all the downtown developers she’s in bed with. Don’t waste your time with the flip flopper ZINE. He’s a pussy and has not guts and behaves like a girlie idiot. Never would he be Controller

Empowerment:
    Law 270.6 – Lecture 2 – Public Utilities & Rate Regulation: Intro to Finance

GREIG SMITH SHOULD ALSO BE COMMENDED. HUIZAR VOTED IN SUPPORT OF MAYOR SO HE WON’T GET RE ELECTED.
    “”Don’t knuckle under,” Smith said before the council voted to continue the override discussion next Wednesday. “Don’t be afraid of this mayor. He is not being re-elected. He is gone. “If you want to perpetuate what’s going on at Water and Power, then vote against this proposal. If you want change – meaningful change, transparency – you want to put people back in the equation.”

13. mv says:

city hall is a nest of crooks and liars

14. District #1 says:

During the next round of elections what portion of voters are the Residents and DWP Workers per district? Most DWP workers probably don’t live in LA. But we the Residents want change but we don’t follow Ron or ZD or anyone because WE never see any of you in our District. No NEWS Coverage & No interpersonal connection.
    Now what we do know is, the people are tired of DWP so if you can’t make youre case against Zine or Wesson, you’re not on the ground going door to door asking for the Vote.
    Now is the time to target each district with (a)ensuring folks are registered and they get a ballot (mail in if they have those) and (b) getting to know your constituents; at least let them know there is an alternative.
    Did you know that LAHD and the Mayor want to allow Residential Property Owners the ablity to charge tenants for Capital Repairs at 100% over five years. This is a big issue for Tenants and these are the folks who will vote for you if you reach out to them.
    From what I seen in the past, Voting in LA is about as popular as DWP. This is the challenge all incumbants face.
    Please get you’re face out there NOW, not two weeks before the election.
    Make you’re signs, rent your truck and get out the bullhore and ride throughout the district you want to represent, invite publically a debate with Incumbant.
    Like the good ol’days, sounds funny but HEY, it connects, you the CHALLENGER w/ the folks in each district.
    Walk door to door, get your team together now. You need a stragety and list of reforms you will impliment if elected.
    Please: Don’t wait until the last moment to start Campaigning. Get Ready NOW. Ask for Donations NOW.
    People will help if you commit yourself to helping the middle-class; who have been hit hard by Rent increases and “now”, more utility costs from LADWP.
    If you can’t unset 90% of the incumbants who’s seat are up, God Help us.
    Key subjects:
    1. Housing & the CRA
    2. DWP with Lack of Trust and Capitalization
    3. City of LA: Better Accounting and oversight of Investments, especially Pension Funds.
    4. Pension Reform

Ron, how do you really feel about this? Earlier you mocked this ballot measure as a “power grab” by the council, but now its a heroic “reform”. You cant be for it and against it, make up your mind…
    Its clear that this is all about revenge and personal gratification for you, not about actual policy. Nothing changes if the Council has the ability to remove the GM, it only makes things more political.

As an activist, one time I was counting votes on an issue I was working on and I was 3 votes short of getting what I wanted. A reporter from the Daily News asked me who was voting the opposite way. I named the 3 and Zine was one of them. The reporter asked if it would be okay to ask them and I said yes, of course.
    When Zine was asked by the reporter why he was voting the way he was, he said (much like in the video), “I haven’t decided how I’m voting yet”. The reporter said, “You told those working on the issue that you were voting against it”. He asked if I had said that and when he was told yes, he said that I was a LIAR. That was in the front page story of the Daily News.
    Anyone want to guess how he voted? Suffice it to say I wasn’t lying.
    I even still like the old guy. I did think he should have had the balls to own up to what he told me and NOT call me a liar in the newspaper.

18. anon says:

Councilman Zine,
    I ask you to explain yourself in written form on your website, in the news or answer my email why you voted with the Mayor to veto the plan allowing firing DWP commissioners and executives who have been found unfit by city council. I’m a DWP ratepayer in your district 3 who along with 1.3 million other ratepayers have been abused by the DWP, mayor and now two members of city council. You were voted in as councilman to look after the ratepayers in your district why have you not done so? It now looks like you did this to further your political ambitions.

While, I’m no fan of Perry, since I can never forget her show last year on behalf of AEG and their billboards, I’m willing to accede that for whatever reasons she called Zine on the carpet, is remarkable. If they were all willing to be equally honest all the time, they would earn the respect of people they serve instead of the contempt we hold them in.

20. James McCuen says:

Those of you criticizing Ms. Perry are correct (AEG, Billboards, Grand Ave Project, etc), but when anyone including Ms. Perry does the right thing, she should be praised.
    And what she did on Friday was both commendable and revealing. But to clean up LA, we need to sweep out the City Council incumbents. And we need the scrub their challengers and watch those that make it like a hawk.

21. For once, Perry spoke frankly and with passion against Councilmembers who are in the faucets of the DWP and the IBEW. These members can be turned on and off at the convenience of the Mayor’s team as easy as it is for anyone to switch from hot to cold water.
    The thought of Zine running for City Controller is beyond repulsive. After Wendy is through converting the position to the equivalent of a Deputy Mayor, Zine will take it one step further and make it an adjunct to the DWP.
    I can only hope someone with name recognition and financial backing will step up amd challenge Zine. If such a person emerges, I will commit all the energy I can spare to support his or her’s campaign.
    If no one runs, I would consider running if only to foster a debate. We cannot allow anyone to simply hand the keys of the office to him.
    Paul Hatfield

Zine is eunuch!

23. For once, Perry spoke frankly and passionately against Council Members who are in the faucets of the DWP and IBEW – turned on and off at the will of D’Arcey and the Mayor.
    I find the thought of Dennis Zine running for Controller repulsive. Wendy has already converted the position to the equivalent of a Deputy Mayor; Zine will go one step further and make it an adjunct of the DWP.
    I truly hope a worthy candidate with name recognition and financial backing will step up and run against Zine. If such a person emerges, I will back his or her campaign with whatever energy I can spare.
    We cannot allow him to get a free pass into the office.

24. ZDBut we the Residents want change but we don't follow Ron or ZD or anyone because WE never see any says:

“But we the Residents want change but we don’t follow Ron or ZD or anyone because WE never see any of you in our District. No NEWS Coverage & No interpersonal connection.”
    Excuse me! I remember LIVING in CD1 for a stretch that many people in CD1 will remember. Remember events I held at Casa Princessa that many people from CD1 attended. I attended NC and planning meetings. The father of a church thanked me, in person, when I was at his church, over a bar that he credited me with having squashed. (He was being kind.) I wrote articles for the CD1 local newspaper Blvd Sentinel. And have personally spoken with Reyes, face to face on issues that people in CD 1 brought to my attention via interpersonal connections. (Maybe you will be glad to pay me back for cell phone minutes used talking to people in CD1.) And an editor for a magazine I wrote for accused me of being overly-caring of that part of the city. I’ll try to do more!

The only reason Jan Perry spoke out was because all the media was in council listening. You guys are unbelievable. The witch, corrupt, in bed with developers ONE time says somnething against her collegues and you all go GAGA!!! This is why our city will continue to deteroriate because you guys are so easily swayed and influenced by ONE action. You all need to go to South Central where Perry reps and talk to her constituents who will tell you she is one of the most corrupt morons on council. The same cohorts she’s yelling at were the very ones who VOTED YES FOR AEG and not the people. She also VOTED TO GIVE DWP general managers that $5 million in back pay. Perry has named too many street corners and square for her pals on NATION OF ISLAM. They hate women and believe Women should walk behind men and stay in the shadows. YES, this is the moron you guys are praising.