Three Short Sentences End Raman Raj Reign at DWP

My Fellow Department of Water and Power Employees:

Raman Raj, our Chief Operating Officer, is moving on from the Department to return to the private sector.
Please join me in wishing Raman well in the next stage of his career.
Effective today, any pending matters that would have required his attention should be forwarded to the office of the General Manager.

Ronald O. Nichols

With those three short sentences, Ron Nichols asserted his leadership of the LA Department of Water and Power and rid the utility of the man responsible for much of its loss of credibility.raj.jpg

Nichols unceremoniously announced the departure of chief operating officer Raman Raj to the staff Friday afternoon, the usual day for staff firings — a point NIchols stressed with his pointed reference to “any pending matters” should be forwarded to his office.

Raj was a key figure in the rate hikes fiasco last spring, gaining enormous authority during the chaos in management in recent years, and close ally of IBEW union boss Brian D’Arcy.

Raj was hired by David Freeman during his first unfortunate reign as DWP general manager but fired not long after Freeman was dismissed. As Mayor Villaraigosa’s deputy mayor for energy and the environment, Freeman forced General Manager David Nahai to rehire Raj in May 3008.

Here’s some links to past stories of interest:

The Story of Raman Raj and Brian D’Arcy: The Villains Who Wrecked the DWP

Fire These Men or Not One Cent More for DWP

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Three Short Sentences End Raman Raj Reign at DWP

Tony Cardenas for Mayor

Tony Cardenas for jail.

3. G. Shepherd says:

Bruno, too bad there isn’t a cash bonus for that nice man that lets you guard the backyard for being the first — and as far as I can tell — only one to report Raj’s ceremonious ouster from the DWP.
    Not a word on either of the only two major daily’s Web sites.
    Woof!
    Bruno’s Pal, G.

Darcy is the point man, not the puppets he controls, among them our Mayor. If if he was gone, it would be news.

It’s about time this thug is shown the exit door. Now Mr Nichols regarding that pending item show us where our ratepayers money is really going. We already know about the stupid programs, high union salaries and expensive over bid sub contractors. Show us where the infrustructure is rapidly being rebuilt.

All I can say is “Good Riddance”. That man single handedly drove DWP into turmoil all so Mayor Tony could get more brownie points and screw with the utility. I predict that Mr. Nichols will be cleaning house getting rid of more “Tony’s Cronies”. DWP and the people of Los Angeles will be the better for it.
    Next step, dump that clueless Tony appointed DWP Board and get some people with utility experience. Not special interest patsy’s that hardly show up to scheduled meetings causing delays to key contracts and projects to improve the infrastructure.

Raman carried the DWP on his back for the last 4 years. Easy for you armchair quarterbacks to criticize without any management experience (and perhaps little to no education).

8. Anonymously says:

2-6-11, 9:03 PM as a DWP employee you saw Raj bring DWP credibility down the toilet especially these past four years while he carried it on his back. He was one of the extortion planners and front man at the city council holding back money due the general fund. It doesn’t take an educated genius to see how Raj helped put DWP in ruins. Results speaks louder than your words. If you took a vote of confidence from DWP employees, Raj would have been a no vote.

8:08, that money was never due the general fund to begin with. Do you enjoy being taxed twice on your utility bill?

How are you “taxed” twice. You pay for your water and power. You are not taxed. I think you have been watching too much Fox news. Get your facts straight.
    Once the fees are in the DWP general fund, the City Council and Tony try to rob it any way they can.
    I’m not an arm chair quarterback, I’m an over worked manager here at DWP with not enough hours in the day to work projects all with “do me first” on them. Because my classification is not considered “critical”, and with the freeze on, I am starting my 7th year of having no help and no relief in sight.
    I can honestly say that I earn my paycheck, that Raj leaving is a blessing, and that Local 18 is in bed with the City Council and Mayor way too much.
    Can the Board, recall the mayor, and scale back Local 18′s presence to look after employee rights and keep out of the City’s political arena.
    Break over.

11. Me says:

rehire Raj in May 3008!
    3008?

Doubletax:
    - 10% of total utility revenue automatically goes to the General Fund
    - Then another 8% of power revenue goes to the General Fund
    You’re a DWP manager, how do you not know this? And are you for or against giving more money to the General Fund. Your first post sounded like you were defending the Council while they raid DWP’s proprietary fund, twice. Your second post sounds like you’re now attacking them. As a side note, maybe if the council didn’t demand that additional 8% of revenue every year, you’d have the money to hire more people to split your workload.
    Also, Fox News doesn’t report on local politics so whne you tell people to stop watching Fox News, you make no sense.

So the little cockroach is finally gone…

Wrong “Anonymous”. My original post was 02/06 at 4:06pm.
    And it’s still not a tax. A percentage of the FEES are transferred. You are CHARGED for the water/power you use, not taxed.
    Actually, upper management is so frightened of the “board” that they are afraid to make any decisions that don’t pander to someone’s special interests. Look at the board. They are a group of lawyers and tree huggers with to clue as how to oversee a major utility. They are more interested in keeping Tony happy and looking out for their own interests. That is, when they show up for their Charter mandated meetings. More meetings were cancelled in 2010 then held. That means critical contracts can’t be approved. And, they only review contracts every two months. If they cancel a meeting, you’re up the creek for another 2 months.
    If upper management would focus more on existing problems within the Department rather then waste excessive time and money on “new” (aka Green) projects that Tony, The Board, and Local 18 are keen on implementing, we may be able to bring DWP out of the dumps and have a community leader again.
    Don’t get me started on engineers. They can’t accept established proven technology. They have to tweak it to make it their own. Most of the time the tweaks don’t work which means more time and lots of money down the drain.
    I have to stop now. Lunch is over and back to work.

You’re talking semantics now. That 10% that is TRANSFERRED is better known as a UTILITY TAX. And that additional 8% has an array of names because nobody knows what to call it. Read this
    I agree with you about the board. I don’t think it’s possible to remedy the problem without a charter amendment.
    As far as green projects, how do you expect your utility to meet AB32 2020 RPS requirements without spending money on green?

I do not have a problem with “green”.
    I am concerned with the amount of resources being used for green while infrastructure problems get a “we’ll fix it when it breaks” back burner status.
    The biggest problem I see is that we are so engineer heavy, and there are so many opinions among them that nothing gets accomplished in a reasonable time. Trim down the engineers and back fill positions of the people who actually work for a living.

In general, you guys are not engineer heavy. Your field groups actually need more engineers, as do groups at the John Ferraro Building that are tasked with infrastructure related work. In terms of the workforce, you guys are also nowhere near pre-deregulation numbers and it’s because a good chunk of experienced engineers took Freeman’s package a decade ago that there’s currently not enough expertise to go around.
    I agree that not enough gets accomplished in a reasonable amount of time but I think it has more to do with an IBEW culture that punishes employees for working outside their class than actual engineering incompetence.
    As far as green and infrastructure, you guys are going to have to do both simultaneously. Failing to do one will lead to AB32 fines. Failing to do the other will lead to NERC fines.

A challenege to the naysayers. Try running a utility while answering to the whims of a big mayor boss and 15 little bosses in the city council AND keeping your electric rate below what the neighboring investor-owned utility charges for electricity. I’m not a DWP electricity customer, but when I look at my electric bill, I wish I was. Something to think about as you bash DWP again.

20. Anonymouse says:

Methinks you all should get back to work and not debate this issue on your breaks on company issued computers. Do this kind of thing at home in the evening on your own time with your personal computers.