In retrospect, I’m sorry I mocked Eric Garcetti for his pious “Temple of Democracy…stay as long as you need to” phony crap and crucified Dennis Zine – his top fill-in running Council meetings — for being a two-faced, duplicitous, deceitful liar and dissed Jan Perry – his No. 2 fill-in - for selling out the interests of blacks, Asians, whites and Latinos (in ascending order of their population size) to billionaires for hideous downtown developments.

OK, I’m not really sorry.

But the way Herb Wesson is using or rather abusing his
new-found powers makes the Garcetti-Zine-Perry team seem like the noble public servants they pretend to be.

Wesson – put into the Council presidency without opposition
by union uber-boss Maria Elena Durazo who threatened to destroy anyone who got in his way – has taken revenge on everyone who might get in the way of the business-labor-developer feeding frenzy in this morally, politically and financially bankrupt city.

The funny thing about Herb is he’s at his best when he’s
playing it for laughs but nobody’s laughing these days, especially not him as he tries to imitate a real leader.

Wesson opens Council meetings with all the seriousness of a priest presiding over a funeral, then turns over the reins to run them to bumblers, Ed Reyes and Tom LaBonge – a team that makes those despicably ambitious pols who previously ran the made for TV (Channel 35) show look like elder statesman with high-minded commitment to the common good.

It’s a case of dumb and dumber and dumbest, no doubt about
it.

Wesson is playing hard ball these days.

He stripped Bernard Parks, the only Council member who actually ever read the city budget, of his Budget Committee chairmanship and Perry, the only Council member tough enough to tackle the crooks at the DWP, of her chair of the Environment Committee.

And with his clout augmented by the mayor’s, he robbed them of the heart of their districts – Baldwin Hills and downtown – in the draft maps
released last week by the puppet Redistricting Commission.

Under Herb, the rules, even the Brown Open Meeting Law, mean
nothing.

At the 11th hour before the midnight Tuesday execution of the reviled Community Redevelopment Agency, he pushed through a deal to keep
the Broadway trolley car plan going forward even though proper notice and information about it were not made public and the Council’s attorney Dion Connell refused twice to answer the question about whether the action was legal, double-talking around the question.

Where there are losers, there are also winners — count Jose
Huizar and Paul Krekorian among them.

Huizar’s reward was Perry’s Energy and Environment Committee
plus a redistricting map that gives him the most lucrative parts of downtown when it comes to raising campaign funds and giving away taxpayer money.

Krekorian, who owes his election to community activists, got Parks’ Budget Committee and a newly redesigned South Valley district shorn of
Sunland-Tujunga where residents feel betrayed by his broken promises. It’s a handy district for him since he has bought a home in Studio City but can’t move in until the maps are final and he knows for sure he will be living in CD2.

In both cases, these are men who have proven their obedience to those in power is greater than their loyalty to their constituents.

It is going to be interesting to see whether Wesson’s whip and back room horse trading produces the 99.3 percent unanimity that Garcetti achieved – or whether in an election year with citywide offices and a majority of the Council seats up for grabs, it all becomes unstuck.

Enhanced by Zemanta
This entry was posted in 2013 LA Elections, City Hall, Community Activists, Hot Topics, Los Angeles and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Dumb and Dumber and Dumbest – Who Better to Put in Charge of the Charade of the City Council

Ah–so the happy go lucky comic Wesson is a self serving viper. Your description of how Perry and Parks is on the mark.
    You forgot to mention the resolution made by Wesson to remove Animal Services from Public Safety and plunk it in with Personnel. Who would be heading this? None other than Koretz, with Zine and Alarcon as side kicks.
    We are doomed.

Yeah Ron, you blew it on this one. City Hall`s other Napoleon will lead the city into catastrophy. At least Garcetti is honest, spineless, but honest!

Krekorian has been a great disappointment to me. I was really excited by his intelect, preparedness, incisive questioning during the early Council meetings. Alas, the sirens of power got the better part of him and he has become part of the herd, dealing behind closed doors, self agrandizing, scratch my back to scratch yours. Member of the herd led by Herbie. What a shame!

4. MissAnthrope says:

Nothing will change as long as stories like this in today’s L.A.Times
    keep appearing. The Daily News is just as bad, but they didn’t run this story that I could find.
    It’s a rundown of all the money raised so far by mayoral candidates.
    It said that, that dumb Bill Maher gave dumber Wendy Greuel $1,000, and Eric Garcetti and Greuel raised slightly more than $1 million each.
    But when it came to what they would term a “lesser” or “minor” candidate, Kevin James, they barely gave him honorable mention with his $154,000 in donations.
    That kind of non-reporting is exactly why candidates like Walter Moore or others who aren’t insiders can’t begin to win elections.
    A million or so seems to be some kind of magic number in campaign fund raising, but $154K isn’t chump change, and it deserves at least a paragraph to explain where the money came from, like a gaggle of small grassroots donors.

5. MissAnthrope says:

Nothing will change as long as stories like this in today’s L.A.Times
    It’s a rundown of all the money raised so far by mayoral candidates.

Please, stop with the hyperbole. Sunland-Tujunga was not shorn out of a south district. Look at a map.
    Realigned into proper position; officially a part of the North Valley Planning Area, side-by-side with neighboring Sylmar-Arleta-Pacoima-Sun Valley- East La Tuna Canyon. North Valley.
    By La Crescenta and Deukmejian Wilderness Park!
    None the less, the proposed CD redistricting boundaries are totally verkacht.

7. mad as says:

went to the chinese new year parade this wee kend and Zev, Jan and Wendy were in the parade riding in convertibles,when each went by i yelled at them, told them how corrupt and useless they are. i got my kids and friends to boo as loudly as possible too. A lady said you are ruining the parade. I told her if she knew anything she would boo too. i felt great all weekend, and highly recommend this to all

8. Exceptional, candid facts. Gracias!

Krekorian is almost completely transformed. Soon, he will be indistinguishable from a tired old hack like Tom LaBonge.

Krekorian is ALREADY indistinguishable!

Little Herbie is out of control. I agree he surely has the little man syndrome just like the Mayor. People should be worried he’s president and the gangster Ed Reyes is Pro Tem. How scary to have two of the most uneducated calling the shots in council. I like the poster who boos the politicians. I’m sick of seeing people kiss their butts when they attend meetings knowing how corrupt they are and ruined our City. Can someone please post one positive accomplishment this group of classless fools have done for our City.

12. I Know One!!! says:

Anonymous on February 2, 2012 6:03 AM asked:
    “Can someone please post one positive accomplishment this group of classless fools have done for our City.”
    Once they canceled the Council meeting for lack of quorum.

Yes, that’s about right. The City is only safe when City Council is out of session.

2:23 – Alarcon-shill much do you?
    Deukmejian isn’t even in the City, genius, and the relevant COMMUNITY PLAN includes Lake View Terrace, Sunland-Tujunga, Shadow Hills, and La Tuna Cyn. NOT Sylmar, Pacoima, Arleta. The map now splits Lake View Terrace at the 210, and sheers off Shadow Hills and La Tuna.
    Learn what the **** you are talking about or shut the **** up.

Is there anything the NC’s can do to stop the waste of tax payer dollars with the grandstanding and hours spent self congratulating themselves in Council and all those idiotic presentations? How can we change the rules on that wasted time while the public sits patiently waiting in chambers?

to anon 9:19am
    comments by 2:23pm are accurate and true.
    never said Deukmejian Wilderness Park is “IN” LA City; said “BY” as a point of reference to show how far EAST and NORTH Sunland-Tujunga etal really are in the grand scheme.
    Look at a map.
    Sunland-Tujunga etal Community Plan is one of eight Community Plans in the NORTH VALLEY PLANNING AREA…and the Sylmar-Arleta-Pacoima-Sun Valley-La Tuna Canyon Community Plans are Sunland-Tujunga’s most immediate neighbors…and beyond eastern border of Sundlan-Tujunga, area is La Crescenta-Deukmejian Wilderness Park.
    Once again: the proposed CD redistricting boundaries are totally verkacht.
    Not the enemy and shills for no one.

17. THE CRA/LA is dead!! says:

“Can someone please post one positive accomplishment this group of classless fools have done for our City?”
    Yes, that is easy. Garcetti and the Hackettes behaved so abomindably that they turned the public against the CRA/LA and now it is dead!
    But for the grand hubris of Garcetti and his rape of Hollywood, Ron Kaye would not have complained incessantly. Without Garcetti’s Cesspool on Vine, CityWatch would not have run story after story depicting the CRA corruption which Garetti champions under the guise of redevelopment.
    Yes, the true killers of the vile CRA are Garcetti and the City Hall Hackettes. Now Garcetti wants an encore? Are the developers dumb enough to back the fool that brought their Hollywood empire tumbing down? Yep, they are that dumb.

18. President Wesson-Oil says:

My staff told me today about this cite (you know the one WE never view.) I would like to be able in fairness to address some of the total INACCURACIES of the Ron Kaye RACIST and HATEFILLED STORY:
    1/ I am NOT the smallest man on the Council—that would be CD12′s Mitchell Englander. Mitch is a DWARF and as far as I know the first of his kind to hold elected office in California.
    2/ I am not a VIPER as one poster called me, Jesus get it right–I’M A SELLOUT-MY-RACE-AND-CITY BACKSTABBER.
    3/ I don’t want to raise your DWP rates—I want to FUCKING raise your DWP rates as high as my head can fit up your Ass! (Sorry, it’s after hours and I’ve had a few.)
    4/ I redrew the Council seats to fit the needs of the FEW over the needs of the Many–you know like Spock said in Star Trek! Shit, if it’s good enough for fucking Star Trek, than why not good enough for me.
    5/ Tom Labonge—would of made a perfect French Nazi Collaborator in an earlier life. That’s why I’m letting him take over the Jews in Encino and Sherman Oaks–you know like when Europe gave the Sudetenland to Hitler! I’m ANNEXING territory for Tom! HA HA! (Oh the POWER, THE POWER!!!)
    6/ I am not just a small black man who ass kissed his way to the top, no, I’M GOD! I run this City as I see fit!
    I challenge all of you pathetic, overtaxed, overworked, nonvoting, mostly White and Korean LOSERS to take away my Gavel of Power!
    I’ll defeat you all!
    Sincerely, PINKIE (THAT’S MY WIFE’S NICKNAME FOR ME, OR MY…GOT TO GO.)

19. President Wesson-Oil says:

I’ll defeat you all!
    Sincerely, PINKIE (THAT’S MY WIFE’S NICKNAME FOR ME, OR MY…GOT TO GO.)

My God! That’s the most cogent thing out of Herb Wesson’s mouth (or ass) in a long long time.

23. Herb’s Council will be living proof why we need a Financial Control Board.
    Budget is a mess. They are already screwing around with the assumptions underlying the pensios so as to decrease the City’s contribution. A savings.
    But our streets need lots of fixing and that is not going to be cheap. And maybe a bridge or two might need to be replaced. And do not forget our sidewalks.
    But the biggies are the $750 million Ardon class action litigation on the telephone utility tax which the City will try to negotiate down by buying off the plaintiff’s lawyer at our expense.
    And then we have the Prop 26 impact on the beloved transfer fee from the DWP.
    It is going to be ugly. Real ugly.
    And Herb of Harold & Belle’s fame will be right in the middle.

24. U R So says:

President Wesson-Oil said:
    “I am not a VIPER as one poster called me, Jesus get it right–I’M A SELLOUT-MY-RACE-AND-CITY BACKSTABBER”
    VIPE! VIPER! VIPER! VIPER! VIPER! VIPER! VIPER!

The first red flag with Wesson and the rest of the corrupt city council members is when they anointed him king and made him president knowing full well he used taxpayer dollars to help his restaurant friends. If that doesn’t open the eyes of the people of all the corruption going on with this group of clowns then I don’t know what will. How can morons like Perry, Garcetti and Greuel be campaigning having been FAILURES in their own positions. You don’t Promote failures to higher office.

26. Corrupt to the very core says:

Yes, they are corrupt to the core. CityWatch has an article today about how shabbily the council treated Mike Jackson. Last night, I spoke with people who had been were physically present and other news outlets picked up this complete disregard for the Constitution.
    LaBonge with the full support of Trutanich appears to be prancing through the hills “selling off” public streets so that the fancy people can live in “privately gated” communities. Sothbeby’s is already advertising one of these gated enclave’s “privacy.” Yep, that your tax dollars at work. Now we get to support millionaires who can take voer public streets anbd turn them into zones of privacy because LaBonge and Trutanich say it’s OK.
    Maybe Miki Jackson and John Walsh will gather up their signs and we can all parade up to the fancy smanchy gated streets, and we can bring along the media to see how the millionaires live — while we foot the bill.

27. Kenneth Hahn (back from the grave) says:

If I had to do it all over again, I would have done it all the same except for one thing…I would have had a blood test because there is NO WAY, NO WAY Janis and Jimmie share the same DNA as I! Now they want to name the Council Chambers after Jimmie? JESUS FRIGGIN CHRIST! Why not just call the damn thing PAY-TO-PLAY-HALL?

28. Pay to Play says:

They already do call it Pay to Play Hall.

Attended Redistricting Commission hearing Saturday, 02/04/12 at Pierce College. No signs to direct, off main road, obscure location, will assure minimal public participation.
    The 2-3 speakers who voiced saccharine support for CD #4 preliminary map boundaries were…you guessed it, the SOHA-VICA groupies!
    Communities of Interest, primarily vocal groups of Armenians, Sunland-Tujungans and COI from mid-town Van Nuys, all united in opposition to red-lined boundaries.
    The lowest level in hell is reserved for traitors…