In his eighth and final self-flattering State of the City address to Los Angeles’ four million people, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa offered an advertisement for himself as a Latino salesman for a world far better than the one he will leave behind in his hometown.

Safest, greenest, most mobile, most sustainable, best educated — the superlatives flowed from his mouth like the flood of water down the concrete L.A. River, hundreds of them, one after another, remarkable achievements of a man who sees himself as not even his lovers see him.

Except. Except who could possible live up to the legacy he said he left in what can only be described as the greatest lie he ever told after a lifetime of lying?

Certainly not Wendy Greuel or Eric Garcetti.

And that is something we can all agree on. Much as we might think Tom Bradley’s last years were the beginning of the end, and Dick Riordan’s were much ado about nothing, and Jim Hahn’s were much about doing nothing, and Antonio Villaraigosa’s were the end of what began so long ago, the years that await us offer not even the promise of hope.

Antonio said that, not me. He is better than them — and that is a terrible thought to take to heart.

Or maybe the strategic placement of Greuel — favorite honey of labor and businesss interests — as Antonio left the stage and their prolonged embrace gives us a clue that she will soon be outlining an education program for L.A. schools that big money Eli Broad can truly support after seeing his various initiatives come to so little for so long.

This entry was posted in 2013 Election, 2013 LA Elections, City Hall, Hot Topics, LAUSD, Los Angeles and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Antonio’s Finale: Advertisement for Himself as L.A.’s Greatest Mayor — and Putdowns to Greuel and Garcetti

Okay-that warrants a vomit bag. It’s clear this is a gubernatorial campaign speech. Education? Yeah right. The closest he got to pushing for change in our schools was his initial campaign speech where he used his wife, the school teacher–then publicly humiliated her after he got what he wanted. Then he goes off to some Vegas topless hotel. Then he goes and parties with Charile in Cabo. This is not the man I want to represent California and certainly not a “leader” I’d want my child to follow.

• David Barron says:

Absolutely agree !

• ex valley says:

Oh yeah I remember the pics of Villar at the pool, ceasar’s I believe. Tmz published these, you think the slimes would want to embarrass one of their faves ?
      The funniest thing (the joke is on you of course ) was that he was there to attend of those clean energy boondoggles. He was going to bring lots and lots green jobs. Ha. The only ones were maybe a hundred from that Chinese company BYD. After hundreds of millions in kickbacks. Bet both Villar and beutner had lined up their pockets.

• anonymous says:

No, not governor. V is power hungry but lazy.
      Maybe Senator. His BS skills will help him in DC,
      look suave, power lunch and wreak havoc…perfect for V.

Oh, and that long , heartfelt embrace Fraud Greuel gave to Fraud Villar. It said it all.

Wendy was strategically placed to kiss the scumbag. Slimy woman.

How sad that the lesser of two evils is the one with the least endorsements from those we dislike the most. That’s what this election has boiled down to. Then comes the new mayor and it’s down hill from there.

5. teddy says:

Villlar is a perfect example of why we need to vote ‘EN MASSE” for Kevin James
    as a write-in candidate for Mayor. His campaign has been to help LA for all of us,
    not just his pals .

I remember when I worked for my and all children “for free” as a volunteer in Little
    League (team mother), Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, PTA, library helper, etc, etc, etc..

We need Kevin James for Mayor. Wer need him more than he needs us. Write
    him on youe ballot. Go to the polls, do not vote absebtee. This is important if you wnt to be sure your vote will count.

Vote Kevin James for Mayor, for your sakes and LA. Thank you. Teddy

• LA Moderator says:

Dearest Teddy,

Since this is a runoff, there is no opportunity to do a write-in vote. Some races allow for it, but usually that will be spelled out in the sample ballot for regular (primary) races. When you get your’s for May, you may find it repeats what we’ve seen elsewhere.

Therefore, writing something in may send a message…in the manner of being in the stack with late and provisional ballots, but the vote for Mayor won’t count.

My biggest concern, is that it may invalidate the entire ballot, which would be a shame if you cast a vote for the listed candidates for the other races.

My ‘message’ will probably be to just cast for other races, and leave Mayor blank, if I’m not persuaded to cancel my wife’s vote if she opts for “L.A.’s 1st Woman Mayor”….

6. teddy says:

And, Ron, thaank you for this excellent editorial – I have lived in LA since 1960
    and I remember all that you report. I have lived in the San Fernando Valley
    since 1966. You impressed me when you called for secession from Los Angeles.
    Precisely. All we have done since Aero-Space brought the engineers to the Valley
    is provide tax monies for downtown and the rest of Los Angeles. Aerospace jobs
    are gone, but many families are still here and would love to secede.

I think Chatswworth, Northridge, Woodland Hills, West Hills, Canoga Park, Reseda, Tarz ana, etc. etc. etc. would be able to use their own tax monies to repair their
    own streets and sidewalks.

Again, thank you, Ron.

7. ex valley says:

I would not listen to this jerk but can summarize for you:
    “Education um…um…um. World class city … um..um…um. Safest ever …um parks. um… um. 21st century. um. … Forward. …. um. Winning. um …”

All of you who stood idly and let this semi-illiterate crook get reelected in 2009 – this is your punishment. You should be forced to listen to this speech every day.
    Not only you brought four more years of decline and corruption -you helped to make the ruling machine even stronger. This is why your choice is so dismal-garcetti or greul

8. I wonder why the Mayor Who Broke LA did not mention the City’s pending insolvency.

What’s most important (to me) about this speech isn’t who he hugs but how he tries to portray himself. It’s his way of grooming to be gov. He must be stopped; we cannot have him as governor and judging from how people are voting these days…………God help us.

10. Ricardo says:

What a failure!! I can say I voted for Mayor Hahn who I’m sure many are now wishing they had to. Villar has a list of failures. No Million trees, No 10,000 cops even though he and Beck pad the numbers, we’re not dumb. No Measure A, No success with schools because high drop out rates, worst traffic, air quality, homelessness (remember his promise to that issue?) Wendy is a VILLAR person and the more people realize you will get another Villar in Wendy and failures. She’s sold out her soul to the Devil.
    I heard less then 200 people showed up even though Villar had his staffers try every org in town to tell them to go.

anonymous 9;55pm
    I didn`t watch Villar`s speech, but my wife had the same observation. The Slimy Liar Villar Greuel was strategically positioned for the cameras, and when my wife described to me that sickening rocking embrace with Villar, I literally threw up. Hopefully, we won`t see this scumbag anymore after May 21. S. Lopez captures today the essence of this unprincipled lowlife.

12. teddy says:

Dear LA Moderator – well I shall read the ballot, and act accordingly.

It has usually been tue in the past. Thank you.

Saw the hug. I don’t think it was planned, looks more intercepted to me. How pathetic of Wendy to embrace him for so long. If I were her, I’d have slapped him in the face.

14. KS says:

R.I.P.
    ACCOUNTABILITY
    in Los Angeles
    2005-2013

If no one fact-checks this speech when he runs for governor, then you can change “in Los Angeles” to “in California”.

• ex valley says:

If the ruling powers decide for him to be governor, they will run him and fund with millions. What are you going to do? Nada as always. Plus you will be a racist if you oppose a minority (actually a majority but it’s a different story) like Villar.

• anonymous says:

Agreed-we need to get that minority/now majority to oppose him. I know so many that despise him due to what he did to his wife and his other activities. he’s an embarrassment to their race.

He needs to be nixed in the primary; otherwise he will win.

15. cynic says:

Ooooh, it is getting interesting now. LAT , finally, is after Feuer(hollier than thou freak)/Shallman monkey stinking business. And I think the stink will reach the other cheat, Villar Greuel. After all, Shallman is her chief strategist. Where is the Shallman , the crook, tax dodger story? Don` t the voters deserve to know who are the advisors, fundraisers of the candidates?

16. Scott Johnson says:

The Villar’s embrace said it all. Vote Garcetti (while pinching nose) on May 17.

Villar`s embrace spells la muerta………..

18. steve says:

Villar has a sense of self righteousness that is only matched by French Aristocracy just before the French revolution. Off with their heads not literally but in the Ballot Box we need have a clean sweep of City Government. The bastards think that they are the Kings and Queens of Los Angeles. They spend money like they are building a new Versailles and only the AEG and Broad will profit from it and enjoy it.

• ex valley says:

What clean sweep are you blubbering about?
      Your choice is garcetti crook or greuel crook.
      Sorry but no revolution for you. The kings and queens have won.

• anonymous says:

Folks are pushing Garcetti as the lesser of two evils and think a win for him is some sort of victory. Perhaps it’s better than Greuel but look at what we’re debating. As painful as it is to say, we already lost.

• steve says:

I know that we have a Hobson Choice in this election, which is basically to vote for Garcetti because he at least doesn’t owe his election to City Unions, but we have to become more active and actually drag our friends to polls next time. If we don’t we will continue to get politicians who don’t feel any obligation to the average person, but to only special interests.

• ex valley says:

You assume that you will have some reasonable choice 8 yrs from now. Sorry to rub more salt into your wounds but your next mayor is probably another of the same. I bet it will be the fat cuz of Villar’s , the speaker And he will be running against some special interests appointed stooges.
            Sorry to break this for you – but in 8 yes when garcetti or greul are done with you, the city will look like a cross between Tijuna and Detroit.

• anonymous says:

We are the minority these days in the voting booths so in eight years it will be more of the same.
            I’m curious when/if we will see more of an exoduse: tax payers leaving, tax takers staying.

The woman has been blinded by her naked ambition. I think she is a mental case.

20. Wayne from Encino says vote Trutanich, Garcetti, and of course Galperin says:

“Self-Deport” CRUELA-GRUELA, EVIL-ZINE, AND COMMUNIST/BUSINESS KILLER FEUER! The Shallman Issue will be a big one! He’s handling the $$$ for several politicos and doing a bad job at his job too. Mike Feuer is A CUBAN-STYLE/SACRAMENTO SCUMBAG!!! Dumbtanich is simply a FOOL with very very bad ADVISORS who lead him to do STOOPID THINGS. I met Dumbtanich’s family on the campaign trail—GOOD PEOPLE ALL AROUND!!! One brothers a lawyer, another one is a fisherman, and the son had served his country. The mother, who passed away recently was awesome. So Carmen comes from GOOD STOCK. Now you compare that to Mike—he was raised by JACKELS and lives with WOLVES!!
    In a run-off, unfortunately, we are left with 2 choices.
    The mayor’s race is equally compelling: Cruela Gruela is EVIL. Garcetti is AMBITIOUS.
    The third race for Controller is the easy choice: Galperin (new guy, never held office, has a brain, etc) vs. “Puffy-Zine.”
    No write ins allowed, we must send the City at least a chance of leadership this May vs. NO CHANCE OF IT.

21. Ricardo says:

You would think with all the negative blog postings this clown would give it up. But NO he’s asking his staffers to pad this town hall with all the butt kissers he’s had for years. Just another waste of time photo Op.
    Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa cordially invites you to the East Area Community Town Hall Meeting on Wednesday, April 17 at 5:30 pm.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013
    5:30 PM
    Puente Learning Center
    501 South Boyle Avenue

22. nha sach says:

Since Tony personally felt happy by working busily as a bee
    to produce honey, which in Tony’s case was money, he and his family decided to work on the busy bee concept. Oops, I forgot that I had managed to get through high school without taking a single course in biology. Question – have you ever been to a college bookstore on the first day of classes.

Look into my web page: nha sach

Why does LA Times keep the deaf and blind Jim Newton employed. With all the excellent journalists around, is this Antonio sycophant really needed. What will happen if they fire him. Will the paper blow up anymore than it already has. God knows he makes my BP go up each time I read his idiotic articles. Who are his supporters? Who in the hell says I must have my Jim Newton article of the day or else—– Can someone answer.

24. Rothore says:

Villaraigosa’s lower than my used toilet paper on a Sunday morning. In fact – I wouldn’t even flush him down my own sewer pipes. He’s barely fit for the porti-potty on a hot July evening at the NASCAR and BBQ races.

I hope he reads this and cries out loud because he’s incapable of hiding what a scumbag he really is.